Wednesday, August 3, 2011
Today I researched X-ray observations that have been made of the possible companion stars I found last week. I used HEASARC (High Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Research Center) to find lists of X-ray observations from Chandra, Suzaku, Rosat, and XMM-Newton missions. Then, I used the observation numbers found in the "XMM-Newton Master Log & Public Archive" to get X-ray images of them. For each set of possible companion stars, I got images from the MOS1, MOS2 and pn instruments, and saved them as FITS files. The next step is to open the images in ds9, and make regions of the individual stars to see if there are any x-rays coming from them.