Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 14

Today we went on our first field trip to Rochester Precision Optics! To my surprise, a party bus picked us up . . .and we toured their manufacturing building and saw how they made lenses. Afterwards, we all went to pizza hut for lunch. When we got back to RIT, Joel instructed me to do some research on previously observed x-ray emitting planetary nebulae. I made an excel sheet with the name of the PN, the X-ray observatory used, the count rate, the observed flux, and a reference from the paper in which it was published. In the process, I learned a lot about other X-ray observatories used other than Chandra, including XMM newton, Exosat, Rosat, and Einstein. According to Wikipedia, Rosat will likely not entirely burn up when re-entering the earth's atmosphere, and parts of it will hit earth sometime between October and December this year! I really hope Wiki is wrong in this case!

No comments:

Post a Comment